last updated: 04.04.2023
1. WHAT THIS POLICY COVERS
2. PURPOSE OF PROCESSING
There can be various legal bases for the processing of personal information. Below, you can find the legal bases under which the Qt Group processes personal data covered by this policy and the duration of such processing.
- Legitimate Interests. Where Qt Group processes Personal Data based on our legitimate interests, we generally will retain such information for a reasonable period of time based on the particular interest, taking into account the fundamental interests and the rights and freedoms of data subjects.
- Consent. Where Qt Group processes your Personal Data based on your consent, we will retain the information until you withdraw your consent or until there is no longer a need for processing, whichever occurs first.
- Perform a Contract. Where the Qt Group processes Personal Data based on a contract with you, the Qt Group typically will retain the information for the duration of the contract plus the additional limited period of time necessary to comply with law or a statute of limitations for legal claims under the contractual relationship.
- Legal Obligation. Where we are processing Personal Data based on a legal obligation, the Qt Group will retain the information for the period of time necessary to fulfill the legal obligation.
In all cases, the Qt Group also considers the amount, nature and sensitivity of the Personal Data, as well as the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of such Personal Data.
3. PROCESSING ACTIVITIES
- Providing the Services: The Qt Group uses data collected to operate and provide Qt services and sites. The Qt Group processes user personal data in reliance on its legitimate interests (as set forth in the General Data Protection Regulation (EU 2016/679) article 6.1(f)) in operating, improving, and providing you with the Qt services and sites you access and/or request.
- Account and Administrative Communications: The Qt Group may use personal data to send you information related to Qt services such as confirmations, invoices, expiration and renewal notices, technical notices, service updates, security alerts, and support messages to perform Qt’s contract with you, or in reliance on Qt’s legitimate interests in administering our services.
- Providing Customer Support: Personal data in account information may be used to provide support services, including to help provide, improve, and secure the quality of Qt Services and Sites, or to investigate security incidents in reliance on our legitimate interests.
- Handling Contact Requests: If you fill out a web form, request support, or contact the Qt Group by other means (including via telephone), the Qt Group may use your Qt account information to perform our contract with you, or, if Qt does not have a contract with you, in reliance on Qt’s legitimate interests in responding to your request(s) and communicating with you.
- Improving and Developing the Sites: Like with most websites, the Qt Group collects information when users interact with the Sites. The Qt Group uses cookie data and usage data to improve the Sites in reliance on our legitimate interests in developing and improving the Sites, or with your consent.
- Marketing Communications: In certain instances, the Qt Group uses personal data collected to reach out to you about Qt Group services we think might be of interest to you. This information is provided where you have provided your prior consent or when you ask to be contacted by Qt (for example in relation to a demonstration or event). Please see the Marketing section below to learn how you can control the processing of your Personal Data by the Qt Group for marketing purposes.
- Securing the Services: The Qt Group may process personal data and cookie data for the purposes of maintaining the safety and security of our Sites and Services, including verifying accounts, investigating suspicious activity, and enforcing Qt Group terms and policies, in reliance on Qt’s legitimate interest of promoting the safety and security of our Sites and Services, systems and applications, and in protecting our rights and the rights of others. The Qt Group may among other things provide to a company list of downloads of Qt products using an IP-address linked to the company or in relation to which the name of the company has been provided by a Qt user. This information allows your company or institution to make decisions about things like purchasing more licenses, additional modules, or features.
- Complying with Legal Obligations: The Qt Group may process Personal Data when cooperating with public and government authorities, courts or regulators in accordance with our legal obligations under applicable laws, to the extent this is required and necessary (e.g., complying with court orders or judicial processes).
4. INFORMATION COLLECTED
The Qt Group may process personal data that:
- a user actively provides during account creation or otherwise in response to forms or questionnaires, or sales inquiries and transactions such as the name and physical address, email addresses, telephone numbers, and employer or a user;
- is available from third parties related to or relevant for the use or licensing of the products and services of the Qt Group, or is related to the use of the website, products or services of the Qt Group such as download history and IP address as well as information on the users’ activities while using the website, products or services.
- In addition to the data submitted to the Qt Group via the web pages of the Qt Group, Qt may collect data about visits to Qt Group pages and/or the use of Qt websites, products or services to improve, develop and test the Qt websites, products and/or services, as well as for data and product security and related purposes. To the extent reasonably possible, data regarding visits to the Qt Group website and use of the Qt Group website, products or services is anonymised or pseudonymised.
5. RETENTION PERIOD
Qt user data is stored for the duration of your use of the services provided by the Qt Group and as long as your account is valid, and thereafter the applicable period for limitation of legal claims, and/or any additional periods required or permitted under applicable law, such as license management purposes.
6. DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL DATA
7. TRANSFERS OUTSIDE EU/EAA REGION
Given the global nature of the Qt Group’s business, processing data for the above purposes may involve a cross-border transfer of data provided to Qt from the European Union or European Economic Area (“EU/EEA”) to a location outside the EU/EEA. Any cross-border transfer of the data including any transfers outside the EU/EEA will be carried out in compliance with applicable laws. Where EU/EEA personal data is transferred outside of the EU/EEA to a jurisdiction not subject to an adequacy decision of the European Commission, the primary transfer mechanism used shall be the European Commission’s Standard Contractual Clauses. You may obtain a copy of the relevant Standard Contractual Clauses (where applicable) by contacting Qt Group using the details set out at the end of this policy.
The Qt Group processes your personal data to send you marketing information, product recommendations and other non-transactional communications (e.g. marketing newsletters) about Qt and our selected partners in accordance with your marketing preferences and our legitimate interest in conducting marketing. For the purpose of sending marketing news and information, the Qt Group will ask for your consent in a form to “Send me news about topics related to the Qt product offering” or a similar wording. By ticking or clicking such consent you will receive emails and other electronic communications from the Qt Group regarding news and information on its products and services, including offers that the Qt Group makes for such products and services, invitations to participate in events or surveys. You may opt-out of receiving such news and information at any time. You can opt-out of receiving marketing communications by clicking the “Unsubscribe” or “Manage Preferences” links at the bottom of any Qt marketing email you receive from us or on the Qt website. If you have other contact with the Qt Group (e.g., as an account holder), we may still communicate with you regarding such things as security updates, product functionality, responses to service requests, or other transactional, non-marketing purposes.
9. DATA SECURITY
The Qt Group will keep your data secure by taking appropriate technical and organisational measures designed to protect against its unauthorised or unlawful processing and against its accidental loss, destruction or damage. The Qt Group strives to protect your personal data, but we cannot guarantee the security of your data which is transmitted to our website, applications or services or to other website, applications and services via an internet or similar connection. If we have given you (or you have chosen) a password to access certain areas of our websites, applications or services, keep this password safe and secure.
11. INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR):
According to the General Data Protection Regulation (2016/679), you have the following rights regarding your personal data:
- Right of access to your personal data
- Right to request rectification of incomplete or incorrect personal data
- Right to object to or restrict the processing of personal data and to object to automated decision-making
- Right to request erasure of personal data
- Right to transfer personal data to another controller
- The right to opt out of receiving electronic direct marketing communications from us: All electronic direct marketing communications that you may receive from us, such as e-mail messages and SMS-messages, give you an option of not receiving such communications from us in the future.
Under the GDPR, you are entitled to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority concerning the processing activities carried out by us. Such complaint may be lodged in particular, in the member state of your habitual residence or place of work or where the alleged infringement took place. If you have any questions or wish to exercise your rights, Qt can be contacted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will use all reasonably available resources to respond to any such request without undue delay.
The Qt Company Oy is a Finnish limited liability company with a Business ID 2637805-2, having its domicile in Espoo, Finland.
The Qt Company Oy
California Privacy Rights:
The Qt Group will not discriminate against any consumer for exercising their rights under California Privacy Legislation (the California Consumer Privacy Act, as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act).
California residents may choose to exercise the following rights (subject to certain limitations of law):
- The right to know (upon verification of your identity) the information relating to your personal information that the Qt Group has collected or disclosed in the last twelve (12) months, including the categories of personal information that Qt Group has collected, used, or disclosed to third parties for a business purpose, and the specific pieces of personal information that we have collected about you;
- The right to request deletion of personal information the Qt Group has collected about you;
- To opt out of certain uses of information, collected when you visit third-party websites and interact with Qt ads. The Qt Group may use service providers to serve ads on third-party websites. These ads may be customized and served based on the use of data the Qt Group and its partners have collected on our websites and apps.
If you are an authorized agent making a request on behalf of a consumer pursuant to the California Privacy Rights Act, Qt Group may ask you to provide information verifying you have proper authority to make the request on behalf of the consumer or we may ask the consumer to verify their identity with the Qt Group directly.
1. Cookies on our Website
Cookies are small text files that are stored in your computer’s memory and hard drive when you visit certain web pages. They are used to enable websites to function or to provide information to the owners of a website. Web beacons (also called “pixel tags”) are electronic images placed on a website that typically help us access certain cookies on the website, enable us to count visitors on our websites and improve our services. Web beacons also collect information about visits from individual IP-addresses.
The Qt Group uses both session and persistent cookies. Session cookies are cookies that disappear from your device or browser when you turn off your computer. Persistent cookies stay on your device even after you’ve turned it off. The cookies on our websites fall into a few categories: (1) Required Cookies, (2) Functional Cookies, (3) Analytics Cookies, and (4) Advertising Cookies. You can learn more about each category and type of cookie, via our cookie consent tool—accessible by clicking on the “Manage Preferences” link on the Qt website you are visiting.
Website cookies help the Qt Group to provide customized services and information, gather information about how and when pages in our websites are visited, what our users’ technology preferences are and whether our websites are functioning properly.
Please note that Required Cookies cannot be disabled and if you decide to opt-out of Functional Cookies, certain functionality of our websites or your account may be impacted. If you do not wish to use Required Cookies, do not access the Qt Group websites.
2. Types of Cookies
Required: Required cookies are necessary for basic website functionality. Some examples include: session cookies needed to transmit the website, authentication cookies, and security cookies. If you have chosen to identify yourself to us, we may place a cookie on your browser that allows us to uniquely identify you when you are logged into the websites and to process your online transactions and requests.
Functional: Functional cookies enhance functions, performance, and services on a website. Some cookies on our websites are activated when visitors to our sites make a choice about their usage of the website. Our websites then use the settings preferences of the user in relation to future visits. This allows the Qt Group to tailor the experience on our websites to the individual user.
Analytics: Analytics cookies allow the Qt Group to recognize, measure and track visitors to our websites. This helps us to develop the way our websites function, by determining whether site visitors can find information easily, or by identifying the aspects of websites that are of the most interest to them, for example.
Advertising: Advertising cookies track activity across websites in order to understand a viewer’s interests and to direct marketing towards them. The Qt Group may use advertising cookies depending on how you enable cookie setting in your use of Qt Group webpages. The Qt Group may also use advertising cookies to deliver marketing campaigns and track the performance of the campaign (e.g., that a visitor to a Qt Group website page then made a Qt purchase). Marketing cookies are limited to Qt Group websites and are not used in the Qt Group services.
3. Controlling your cookie preferences
Consent Tool: The Qt Group uses OneTrust as a cookie consent tool. You can utilize OneTrust to customize your cookie preferences. When you visit Qt Group websites for the first time, a cookie consent banner will appear and ask you to customize your cookie preferences. If you decide to change your preferences at a later date, you can easily do so by clicking on the “Manage Preferences” link of the site you are visiting.
Browser Settings: You can use your browser settings to opt out of Functional Cookies and Advertising & Analytics Cookies. For more information on how to do that, visit OneTrust.
“Do not track” Settings: Some browsers allow a “do not track” setting that requests that a web application disable its tracking of an individual user. To set up do not track, you can visit the All About DNT page.
Further information about cookies: If you would like to find out more about cookies in general and how to manage them, please visit www.allaboutcookies.org.